Thursday 6 October 2016

Health and Self Care

It was clear in our class discussions that Health isn't an easy thing to determine. I find it difficult to agree with the sentiment that someone with a terminal illness is "healthy", however, that doesn't mean they can't live a good healthy life. Confused? Me too. Health to me is a consideration of your physical health and how well that functions. Being healthy on the other hand, is choosing a lifestyle with activities that strengthen your health or how you feel (there's that vitality word).

My perception of self care is the action of being healthy. As mentioned above, whatever engages you in activities which keep your body and mind healthy. I hadn't heard of the "Self Care" concept until this summer when I attended the CACUSS Conference 2016 in Winnipeg. I attended a workshop which outlined the five steps to Self Care (Connect, Be Active, Take Notice, Learn and Give) but made it fun for students by creating a Plasticine superhero which help them connect with one of these five ways they thought they needed to attend to the most. I thought it was a great exercise and took it to my students and they enjoyed it too! It was based on a UK study, see more information below.
Self Care, from my perspective, is building activities into your lifestyle that you enjoy that are stress relieving and healthy for your body. Enjoying these every day make them attainable and easier to stick to. Self Care will look different to different people but in the end, the goal should be the same, maintaining an active and healthy lifestyle.

http://www.mind.org.uk/workplace/mental-health-at-work/taking-care-of-yourself/five-ways-to-wellbeing

1 comment: